It’s hard not to fall into a certain romantic mood around Valentine’s Day, but romantic travel isn’t just about a date on the calendar. Whether it’s a short getaway or an epic honeymoon you’ll never forget, many of us take romantic getaways throughout the year. Curious about what our fans thought about putting together the perfect romantic getaway, we decided to make that the theme of our February Twitter chat. What is a Twitter chat? For those not familiar, TripIt holds a monthly chat on Twitter on the third Thursday of each month from 2-3pm Pacific Time on the hashtag #TripItChat. Every month there’s a new travel topic where we encourage participants to share advice with one another. To learn more, please see: http://landlopers.com/2013/05/01/tripitchat/ Here are some of the key takeaways from our last #TripItChat on Romantic Getaways.
Key PointsSince romantic getaways are slightly different from your normal travel adventure, we asked everyone to share what they think is most important to keep in mind when planning these special experiences.
- Chat co-host @LeeAbbamonte said he always keeps in mind destination, hotel and restaurants.
- @SandiMcKenna made the great point to plan ahead and don’t cheap out!
- Minimizing the potential of problems occurinh is key, says @tracysayswhat, who advises picking a great destination and to check the weather trends.
- Adding a couple more crucial elements, @jennweatherhead says that privacy and comfort are both key.
Most RomanticWe all have different definitions of what romantic means, so we asked everyone to share the most romantic places they’ve ever visited.
- For chat co-hosts @theplanetd, beautiful Santorini, Greece is the most romantic trip they’ve ever taken.
- Not needing a beach to feel romantic, @GetSomeTeam said that New Zealand was their top pick.
- Experiences are also important as @MrScottEddy pointed out listing a private vineyard dinner in Spain as his most romantic travel moment.
- Other romantic hotspots include: Bora Bora, Hawaii, the Maldives, Italy, France, the Florida Keys and any Caribbean island.
365 Days a YearRomantic travel doesn’t only have to happen around Valentine’s Day, and we wanted to know what destinations are romantic no matter what time of year it is. The answers made us start looking at flights and packing our bags!
- Chat co-host @RickGriffin pointed out that the romantic city of Dubrovnik, Croatia is always a great choice.
- For chat participant @MiddleSeatView though New York City always has an element of romance, no matter what time of year!
- Our curiosity was piqued when @alavine1 named Walla Walla, Washington, known for great food, wine and outdoor adventures.
- A few other always-romantic destinations mentioned include: the Bahamas, Sonoma, Hawaii, Alberta and Paris.
Romance Isn’t Just for CouplesJust because you’re single doesn’t mean you aren’t looking for romance when you travel. We asked everyone to share the best ways for single people to look for romance when they’re on the road and thankfully they kept the answers PG.
- For @girltrieslife the answer was work abroad. She actually met her husband while working in Scotland.
- Don’t be afraid to strike up casual conversations with new people says @micheleherrmann who once met a great guy in Athens doing just that.
- Others just let fate take over, like @mcnuttsc who says he doesn’t actively seek it out when he travels.
Dream GetawayThere’s nothing we love more than daydreaming about the ultimate travel experience, so we asked our chatters if money were no object, what would be their ultimate romantic getaway. The answers will absolutely inspire some wanderlust, so read with caution!
- Chatter @AngieAway echoed the thoughts of many when she said beautiful @JadeMountain resort in St. Lucia.
- The dream trip for @Polymathically would include all of Oceania from Tahiti to Vanuatu and everything in between.
- We loved the slightly unconventional answer @thebonfiredream gave—a luxury hotel experience in the Land of Ice and Fire: Iceland.
- Other notable destinations mentioned include: @FourSeasons private jet experience, overwater bungalows anywhere, the beaches of Thailand and Spain.