Starting today TripIt users can ask their smart speakers for instant details about an upcoming trip. Both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant now support retrieving travelers’ details—like their flight summary, information about the weather, aircraft and more—all without picking up their phone or laptop. Plus, TripIt Pro customers will also be able to get real-time updates on their flight status.
“Alexa, what’s my departure time?”
To get started using the TripIt skill with your Amazon Alexa, enable the TripIt skill and link to your TripIt account using the Alexa app. First time Alexa users will need to download the Amazon Alexa app. Users can also enable the skill through the Alexa Skills Store on Amazon.com.
Then, follow these steps:
1. The TripIt skill can be found in the “Skills & Games” section—just search for “TripIt” and select “Enable.”
2. Users can then open the TripIt skill for Alexa by prompting “Alexa, open TripIt” and asking a question about their upcoming flight.
3. Alexa will provide users with information about their next flight directly from TripIt.
4. If a user is unsure what to ask, Alexa can suggest examples of information she can provide.
“Hey Google, what’s the weather like at my destination?”
To get started using the TripIt action for Google Assistant, simply connect TripIt to Google Assistant through the Google Home app. Once they are connected, say “Ok Google, talk to TripIt,” and begin asking questions. Note that TripIt will only provide information on the next flight within your TripIt account.
What trip details should I ask my smart speaker about?
You can ask any one of these questions:
- What is my flight summary?
- What time is my flight?
- What is my airline?
- What type of aircraft am I flying on?
- What is the weather like at my destination?
- What seat do I have?
- What is the duration of my flight?
- When do I arrive?
If you’re a TripIt Pro user, you can also ask:
- What is my flight’s status?
- When should I leave for the airport?
- What terminal is my flight in?
- Where is my gate?
TripIt for Amazon Alexa is available to TripIt users with an Alexa-enabled device such as an Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus, Echo Show, and Echo Spot. Likewise, TripIt for Google Assistant is available to all TripIt users with a Google Assistant enabled device such as Google Home, Google Home Mini, Google Home Max and enabled Android devices.
A subscription to TripIt Pro ($49/year) is required to get real-time flight status alerts. If your company uses SAP Concur, you might be one of the many travelers with a complimentary subscription to TripIt Pro. You can visit the SAP Concur App Center to connect your accounts.