We each have our own unique way of traveling. For some, that may mean a week on a beach—any beach—and for others it’s touring some of the great cities of the world. Almost no matter where you go though, adventure travel experiences are possible and many of us enjoy them while on vacation, whether you realize it or not. Adventure travel doesn’t always have to mean jumping off of the highest bridge around, the experiences can be a lot more accessible and ultimately it’s the one style that almost all of us will try at least once in our lives. Since it’s so important, we made it the theme of our May Twitter chat and we loved the conversation that followed.
What is a Twitter chat? For those not familiar, TripIt hosts a Twitter chat on the third Thursday of each month from 2-3pm Pacific Time under the hashtag #TripItChat. Every month, there’s a new travel topic where we encourage participants to share advice with one another. To learn more, please see: http://landlopers.com/2013/05/01/tripitchat/
Here are some of the key takeaways from our last #TripItChat on Adventure Travel.
What is adventure travel?
Since adventure travel can be anything from a bungee jump to zorbing down a hill in New Zealand, we started things off by asking everyone how THEY define adventure travel.
- Chat cohost @Bloggeries gave a great definition by saying: “adventure travel means getting out of your comfort zone and having a great time in the process.”
- Anything, from weird foods to an epic climb, that pushes you out of your comfort zone is adventure travel according to @Who_Needs_Maps
- Chat participant @katieaune put a slightly different twist on it by saying “adventure travel is travel that is physically and/or mentally challenging.”
- Ultimately, adventure travel is all about getting the adrenaline pumping as participant @TravelYesPlease shared.
Even though you can enjoy epic adventure travel experiences almost anywhere in the world, there are some adventure travel hotspots. We asked our participants to share their favorite adventure travel destinations!
- Chat cohost @LeeAbbamonte had a lot of favorite places to share including: Namibia, New Zealand, Chile and of course the US.
- “Anywhere you are!” was the fantastic response by @MidlifeRoadTrip.
- Echoing Lee’s US nomination, @AquamarineSteph said that the National Parks offer some of the best adventure travel experiences in the world.
- Some other top picks included: Iceland, Canada, Australia, Norway, Costa Rica, South Africa and Croatia.
How are YOU adventurous?
We were curious what our participants have done while traveling, so we asked for their most adventurous experiences and the responses were hair-raising!
- For chat cohost @OrlandoChris a unique “flightseeing” experience on an Alaska cruise was his top adventure activity.
- Also taking to the air, for @lavidashannon hang-gliding in Rio was the height of adventure travel.
- Not for the faint of heart, navigating the roads in Southeast Asia on a motorbike was @RTWgirl_’s favorite adventure experience.
- Other fun adventure travel activities included: cage diving with great white sharks, bungee jumping, skydiving and eating strange new foods.
There are ALWAYS places we want to go and things we want to do, so we decided to ask everyone to share the top experiences on their own personal adventure travel bucket lists.
- A hot air balloon safari in South Africa is tops on cohost @RickGriffin’s list.
- Also preferring wildlife experiences, a trip to the Galapagos is something that @nygal33 really wants to do.
- Some folks had very specific answers, like canyoning in Switzerland offered by @TrippinTwins.
- We loved the responses by @nygal33 who suggested dog sledding on a glacier in Alaska, hot air balloon riding in Australia and snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef.
Hotels and Resorts
We all depend on hotels and resorts when we travel and they can even help us achieve our adventure travel dreams and goals. We asked everyone for their favorite hotels around the world that offer some outstanding travel experiences.
- Hotels and resorts in Hawaii were a popular answer, including the Four Seasons Lanai and Maui (@FSLanai & @FSMaui) who offer everything from 1-on-1 surfing lessons, to hiking adventures and even helicopter rides over the islands.
- An unexpected but great answer was @DisneyWorld—as cohost @OrlandoChris shared.
- New to many of us, @ConciergeQ introduced the astronomic hotel @Elquidomos in Elqui Valley, Chile to everyone.
- For something a little different, @micheleherrmann said that hostels are actually really great at providing insight into local adventure travel tours and experiences.
What are some of YOUR favorite adventure travel experiences?