Even though it doesn’t feel like it in much of the country, spring is indeed here and with that comes some fun opportunities to travel. From Spring Break to romantic getaways, spring is a popular time to hit the road, which is why we made it the theme of our March Twitter chat.
What is a Twitter chat? For those not familiar, TripIt holds a monthly chat on Twitter on the third Thursday of each month from 2-3 pm Pacific Time under the hashtag #TripItChat. Every month there’s a new travel topic where we encourage participants to share advice with one another. To learn more, please see: http://landlopers.com/2013/05/01/tripitchat/
Here are some of the key takeaways from our last #TripItChat on Spring Travel.
After a long, hard winter what most of us dream about is a warm, secluded beach somewhere, preferably with a tropical drink in hand. We all know about the most famous beaches, but we were curious about our followers’ favorite beaches around the world!
- Chat co-host @LeeAbbamonte said his favorite beaches are in Delaware, right here in the U.S. A popular getaway for East Coast residents, Delaware offers a more traditional beach experience.
- Americans don’t always think of Europe when it comes to beaches, but as @OrlandoChris and @AzamaraVoyages pointed out, France has some great ones—particularly around Deauxville.
- Being headquartered in Northern California, we here at @TripIt love to head down to Ocean Beach and Baker Beach for some springtime fun!
- Some other notable mentions include: Miami Beach, Myrtle Beach, Whitehaven Beach in Queensland, the Jersey Shore, Costa Rica and all of the Maldives.
Spring travel isn’t all about college spring breakers and adults-only getaways of course; it’s also a prime time for family travel as the little ones enjoy their own time off from school. We know we have a lot of family travel pros in our chats, so we asked them to name their top picks for family-friendly getaways.
- It was nice to see the National Parks mentioned by so many folks—they are indeed a fantastic family getaway!
- @LustingToWander was one of many participants to say that cruises are great for family vacations, plus unpacking only once is a huge plus.
- Thanks to mild weather and the Cherry Blossom Festival, @marleykristin said that Washington, DC is best seen in the spring and we agree!
- If New York City is on your travel calendar, @micheleherrmann says to be sure to include a day trip out to Coney Island for some old-fashioned family fun.
Festivals, fairs and events—oh my!
Spring is a big time for festivals and special events around the world, from professional obligations to celebrations of music and light. Here are some of the special events our participants like to attend the most.
- Cruise expert and chat co-host @OrlandoChris says that visiting the Netherlands during tulip season is a once in a lifetime experience that’s not to be missed.
- Here in the U.S., SXSW (South By Southwest) is a huge gathering of the top minds in entertainment, digital and social media and one that @TripIt is always thrilled to be a part of.
- Chat participant @Travel_Swag goes for the action and lists Coachella as their favorite event thanks to the music, camping, food and fun!
- Sports fans already know the best event of the season as chat co-host @RickGriffin pointed out—baseball spring training!
Last minute deals
Everyone likes to save a few bucks when they travel, but it can be hard to know how to score those last minute travel deals. We asked our followers their best tips for getting amazing experiences at even more amazing prices.
- Many of our participants pointed out the fact that thanks to the declining Euro, now is the perfect time for Americans to cross The Pond and save some big bucks.
- Other folks like @SillySheep save money by staying close to home—they love to visit Williamsburg, Virginia.
- @Jessisawanderer takes a more analytical approach by doing a lot of research and comparison-shopping before making a travel decision. It’s also important to be flexible with dates and destinations.
- Online deals are available for those in the know; especially, if you sign up for hotel and airline newsletters such as @FreshBananas suggests.
Most people love to fantasize about those ultimate dream trips, so we asked everyone if they could go on a spring vacation anywhere in the world, where would they go? The answers were enough to make us want to pack our own bags!
- Looking for some paradise, @travelling_mom said that Kauai, Hawaii is her ultimate pick.
- Also looking for the perfect beach, @CharlesMcCool looks further afield by naming the idyllic Maldives as his dream trip destination.
- Interested more in urban hotspots, @kortlist says they’d love to head to either San Diego or Quito, Ecuador.
- Other notable favorites included: Charleston, Queensland, Egypt, a cruise to anywhere and Chile.
What are some of your favorite spring getaways spots?
Don’t forget to join us for the next #TripItChat on at 2 pm Pacific/5 pm Eastern when we’ll be talking about Finding Balance Between Life and Travel with @ThePlanetD!