Traveling with the whole family, especially if you have young kids, may at first seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be a challenge. Family travel was our May TripIt chat theme and based on the answers we received from participants, it seems like many of you have mastered the fine art of family travel. Here are the takeaways from that fun chat.
Even if you do have kids, many folks have some fundamental misconceptions about what it means to travel as a family. To set the scene, we asked everyone to share what they think are the major points most people don’t understand.
- Chat co-host @SandiMcKenna made the great point that not everyone has to always do the same things together. Alone time is good too.
- Talking about long-term travel, travel pros @theplanetd said many families have made permanent travel a reality with some advance planning.
- Chatter @always5star said many people think it’s too hard to travel with the whole family, but she managed it easily with 6 kids!
Successful parents know that in order to make sure the kids feel like they’re part of the vacation that it’s important to involve them. Luckily our travel aficionados had some advice on how to do just that!
- @RickGriffin says he gives them a budget and lets them research and plan whatever they want do within the budget.
- For younger kids @GoBe_Travel suggests giving them a few options and then let them choose the activities they want to do.
- Taking turns is also important and ensure that everyone will get a chance to do something they enjoy. Also be sure to reward along the way with ice cream or a rest stop, that way everyone stays happy.
Best of the best
Some destinations around the world lend themselves a little better to the family travel experience, so we asked everyone to share their favorite spots for a relaxing getaway for the whole clan!
- Travel pros @MidlifeRoadTrip say that cruises are perfect for families – something to do for everyone!
- The always astute @Bloggeries made the great point that any destination can be family-friendly with the right planning.
- Other popular destinations included all-inclusive resorts, Universal Studios, Indonesia, the Caribbean and New Zealand!
While traveling with the family can be fun, let’s face it, traveling with very young kids can at times be a challenge. But once again our crack team of chatters came to the rescue with some amazing tips.
- One of our favorite ideas was to bring a bag with all the comforts of home. Familiar toys and foods will calm even the fussiest toddler.
- Chatter @LoriLeal1 said planning ahead is key. Take snacks, an iPad for games and shows to keep little ones busy.
- If flying, @HHLifestyleTrav suggests bringing small thank you’s for those around you like candy, earplugs or other in-flight amenities.
We all have dream trips that we would take if we won the lottery and we wanted to know what those ultimate family travel experiences looked like for our wonderful chatters!
- Travel pro @LeeAbbamonte says that Tahiti is the ideal family-friendly dream trip since there’s so much to see and do.
- For @inher30s a dream trip would include a jaunt around Asia – beaches, great food, culture, sunshine and friendly people!
- Other dream trips shared included traveling around Japan, an African safari, Australia and Costa Rica!