It’s that time of the year when most of us vow to lose those holiday pounds and start getting ready for swimsuit season. Staying healthy when we travel is just as important as it is at home though, but it comes with its own unique set of issues. It’s not always easy to live a healthy lifestyle on the road, which is one reason why we made it the topic for our first Twitter chat of 2017.
What is a Twitter chat? For those not familiar, TripIt holds a monthly chat on Twitter on the third Thursday of each month from 2-3 pm Pacific Time under the hashtag #TripItChat. Every month there’s a new travel topic where we encourage participants to share advice with one another. To learn more, please see: http://landlopers.com/2013/05/01/tripitchat/
Here are some of the key takeaways from our last #TripItChat about Healthy Travel!
Set Up for Success
A big part of staying healthy when we travel starts with the hotel or resort we choose to stay in. Some are better than others in helping us stay on the straight and narrow; so, we asked our chatters to give us some tips on the best hotels and resorts for healthy travel.
- Travel pro @LeeAbbamonte said most resorts are great for healthy travel since they have large gyms and plenty of areas to swim and get some exercise.
- Chatter @SandiMcKenna made the great point that any hotel works well, it’s up to the traveler and their individual decisions.
- @jay_eatz shared that Karisma Hotels make it easy to stay fit thanks to their smart food options and plenty of ways to stay active.
- Some other favorites included the Four Seasons Lanai, Canyon Ranch and Rancho La Puerta.
A big challenge for most us is how we start implementing smart choices when we travel. We loved the tips offered up by our Twitter community.
- Chat co-hosts, @theplanetd, say they make it easy by adding in fun adventures to their travels, from kayaking to hiking it makes working out fun.
- Like many of us, @nygal33 stays healthy on the road by walking as much as she can.
- Prevention is the best medicine according to @WingzTeam who believes in hydration, vitamins and plenty of sleep.
- Food is an important part of the travel experience but @RevAGSL reminded everyone to practice moderation and to make smart choices.
Since we knew everyone had them, we asked the TripIt Chat participants to share their 2017 travel and health resolutions.
- Chat co-host @RickGriffin vows to explore more new cultures this year!
- @Lon_Unattached wants to take longer trips that are more relaxing than short, action-packed journeys.
- Food is always an important resolution and @sketch678 plans to be more aware of what they eat and track it all!
- We loved the answer shared by @joell51868—to travel outside of their comfort zone more often.
We can’t always be super healthy though, and that’s especially true when we travel. We asked everyone to share their favorite indulgences when they travel and we loved the responses!
- The answer was simple for co-hosts @MidlifeRoadTrip—good wine and even better conversation.
- Food is the focus for chatter @CharlesMcCool who loves ice cream, BBQ and mojitos.
- Staying true to her luxury roots, chatter @always5star enjoys a glass of bubbly after a nice long walk on the beach.
- Other popular answers were lavish meals, bad-for-you snacks and plenty of adult beverages.
Some places are just better suited to practicing healthy travel habits than others and we loved the best destinations as shared by our followers.
- Health focused retreats are always a good option said travel pro @TravelBlggr.
- Lisbon, Portugal is a great choice said @VikingRiver thanks to the many hills and places to walk.
- Hiking is key for @FunInFairfax who loves Virginia, Colorado, the UK and even Switzerland.
- Other popular answers included: Hawaii, the Caribbean, Australia and Florida.
Don’t forget to join us for the next #TripItChat! Join us on the third Thursday of every month at 2 pm EST/ 5 pm EST.