Summer and early fall is a great time to head out into the woods or along a favorite trail to explore the special beauty that only a great natural escape can provide. As with any type of travel though, there are ways we could all improve the way we experience the outdoors, which is why it was our monthly chat focus in August.
What is a Twitter chat? For those not familiar, TripIt holds a monthly chat on Twitter on the third Thursday of each month from 2-3pm Pacific Time on the hashtag #TripItChat. Every month there’s a new travel topic where we encourage participants to share advice with one another. To learn more, please see: http://landlopers.com/2013/05/01/tripitchat/
Here are some of the key takeaways from our last #TripItChat on Getting Back to Nature: Outdoor Travel!
An Ounce of Prevention…
Trekking through nature is fun but it also requires a little more preparation than a more standard trip. We asked out chatters how they prepare for an outdoor adventure.
- For frequent traveler @MiddleSeatView heading out into nature means bug spray and sunscreen for protection.
- Chat co-host @theplanetd brought up the important point to always make sure someone knows where you are if trekking alone.
- Staying hydrated is also critically important, as chatter @dailysuitcase shared saying she brings electrolyte tabs with her on hikes.
- Most of us want to capture the beautiful landscapes we discover, as @PortholeCruise reminded us, saying they always make sure to bring a camera.
Traveling in Style
In the 21st century, camping doesn’t have to mean roughing it out in the wilderness. Glamping has become an increasingly popular way to experience the great outdoors, but we were curious to see who prefers glamping over camping.
- Chat co-host @RickGriffin loves traditional camping, especially near streams where he can fall asleep to the sounds of the rushing waters.
- Chat participant @always5star prefers glamping, especially if it’s a luxury tented camp somewhere in Africa.
- On the other side, chatter @laura_explorer2 loves the wild and raw beauty that only camping in nature can provide.
- For something a little different, @TravelPast50 usually enjoys day hikes and stays in hotels at night—sounds great to us!
Best Natural Escapes
We always love learning about new places to add to our bucket lists, so we asked everyone to share their favorite natural escapes, whether it’s the mountains, beach, desert or something else entirely!
- Chat co-host @SandiMcKenna prefers Hawaii and especially the beautiful Kalaupapa National Historical Park.
- For something completely different, many folks like @flyingwithfish instead love to visit snowy mountain escapes—après ski please!
- Deserts can also be incredibly beautiful destinations, as @1zestytraveler reminded us by sharing their favorite spot—Joshua Tree National Park.
- Some other popular picks included: Alberta, Canada; any National Park; the Oregon Coast; Thailand and the Scottish Highlands.
Resorts and Hotels for Our Bucket Lists
Around the world there are many special hotels and resorts that have embraced their natural settings, showcasing them in a way that is unique but also comfortable for guests. Since we can never hear enough about great places to spend the night, we asked everyone to share their favorites!
- Many of the heritage properties in Canada expertly embrace nature and for co-hosts @theplanetd the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is one of the best.
- There are many exotic and remote retreats in this category, as chatter @GenXTraveler shared with their pick of the Basata Eco-Lodge in Egypt.
- The Western U.S. is also a hotbed of amazing nature-inspired resorts and hotels, including a favorite of @1zestytraveler in Springdale, Utah.
- Other popular hotels included @SanctuaryRet, @FairmontHotels, @FourSeasons, & @RitzCarlton
Take Your Best Shot
Most of us love to capture those amazing natural destinations we discover, so we asked everyone to share their favorite photos and here are some of the highlights!
- New Zealand is certainly one of the most photogenic places on the planet, as @theplanetD show in this amazing capture!
- For travel pro @Bloggeries though the Azores is his idea of perfection.
- Co-hosts @MidlifeRoadTrip loved their time in Sedona, Arizona as this photo shows.
Don’t forget to join us for the next #TripItChat everything third Thursday of the month at 2:00 pm Pacific/5:00 pm Eastern.