Following a healthy lifestyle is hard enough at home, but when we travel it only gets harder. Late nights, big meals and little time to workout makes it far too easy for us to slide into unhealthy habits. But staying healthy when you travel is important, not just for the obvious reasons but to make the trip itself more fun and productive. It’s a challenge though, so we decided to make it our resolution for the New Year to host an entire chat just about healthy travel.
What is a Twitter chat? For those not familiar, TripIt holds a monthly chat on Twitter on the third Thursday of each month from 2-3 pm Pacific Time under the hashtag #TripItChat. Every month there’s a new travel topic where we encourage participants to share advice with one another. To learn more, please see: http://landlopers.com/2013/05/01/tripitchat/
Here are some of the key takeaways from our last #TripItChat on Healthy Travel.
It’s hard enough to get motivated to work out at home, but on the road it seems like an impossible task. So we asked everyone how they stay active when they travel without making it feel like work.
- Chat co-host @RickGriffin says he always plans active experiences, like kayaking, hiking, biking and so on.
- @IncurableWander says walking tours are fun ways to learn about new places and get that workout in at the same time.
- Travel pros @theplanetd shared a special guide they wrote all about staying healthy when you travel that you can find on their site.
- Another friend of TripIt @TravelBlggr said that she loves to do yoga when she travels. Easy to do anywhere and it’s extremely healthy.
We depend on great hotels and resorts when we travel to make our experiences productive and, yes, even healthy. We asked everyone to share their favorite hotels and resorts around the world that help them stay healthy.
- Several chat participants named just one place for health and wellness, the legendary @RanchoLaPuerta in Mexico, an inclusive destination spa with over 3,000 acres of mountains, meadows and more.
- Going with a more mainstream hotel chain, @ThatsVy said that Westin hotels are great thanks to their gym clothes loaner program and yoga mats in every room.
- Believe it or not, cruise lines like @VikingRiver Oceans and @AzamaraVoyages are even getting into healthy travel with state of the art gyms and special health-conscious menus.
- Chatter @micheleherrmann pointed out that it’s important to look for hotels that either grow their own food or source locally, like @Villa_BlancaCR in Costa Rica.
Yes it’s important to stay healthy when we travel, but it’s also important to enjoy our travel experiences. So we asked everyone to list their favorite indulgences when they travel.
- Chat co-host @SandiMcKenna said she loves to indulge in the local cuisine wherever she goes.
- Several chat participants, including @pubclub, said that their biggest indulgence is happy hour or dinner drinks with friends.
- A little more specific with his answer, @findinganeish said anything found at a typical German Christmas market is fair game for him.
- Without a doubt food and drink was the most popular answer, but many folks also said they consume in moderation and always counterbalance with plenty of time walking around new destinations.
Time for Cardio
Even if we have the will power to work out, it’s sometimes hard to find the time when we’re on the road. So we asked everyone what they do to make time for those workouts.
- Whether it’s for business of pleasure, several Tweeters (including @LandLopers) said getting up an hour or so earlier than normal is the only and best way to fit in a work out. Plus, they feel better throughout the day thanks to that extra effort.
- Instead of a dedicated workout, chat co-host @LeeAbbamonte says he starts his days with in-room exercises that are quick and easy.
- Many folks said that it’s just an organic part of their travels, from taking the stairs to walking instead of taking the subway.
- Taking a different outlook, @theplanetd said that when you have fun and adventure on your travel schedule you don’t need to work out!
Where To Go To Stay Healthy
Some destinations make it easier than others for us to stay healthy and we asked everyone for their favorite places to visit that help them stay in shape.
- Chat co-host @Bloggeries says he loves traveling to beach or mountain destinations where all of the activities keep him healthy.
- When it comes to great walking cities, @RickGriffin says that Paris, Porto and Prague all top his list.
- A favorite destination for many, chatter @beercroissants said that Thailand is also great for healthy travelers.
- Other notable destinations mentioned include: San Francisco, the National Parks, Tahoe, Hawaii, Croatia, Costa Rica, Alberta and Scotland just to name a few.
Don’t forget to join us for the next #TripItChat on February 18th at 2:00 pm Pacific/5:00 pm Eastern when we will be talking about Romantic Travel.