As hard as it is to believe, a new year is upon us and that means it’s also time to start planning our travels for 2016. Whether it’s for business or pleasure, January is a great time to think ahead and book trips for the year to come, so we made it our December #TripItChat topic.
What is a Twitter chat? For those not familiar, TripIt holds a monthly chat on Twitter on the third Thursday of each month from 2-3 pm Pacific Time under the hashtag #TripItChat. Every month there’s a new travel topic where we encourage participants to share advice with one another. To learn more, please see: http://landlopers.com/2013/05/01/tripitchat/
Here are some of the key takeaways from our last #TripItChat on 2016 Travel.
Where To Go
It’s always fun to hear about where people plan on visiting in the new year, so we asked everyone for their no. 1 destination they’d most like to visit in 2016.
- Chat co-host @RickGriffin spoke for many when he named a photo safari in Africa as his no. 1.
- 2016 is a big year for Brazil and many travelers, including TripIt friends @theplanetd, plan on going.
- Twitter chat participant @MichaelWTravels has the tropics in mind with trips to Fiji and Vanuatu on his list.
- Other popular 2016 destinations included: Norway, South Korea, U.S. National Parks, Finland, Northern Ireland and Croatia.
On the Horizon
While the top tourist destinations will probably always be popular, we were curious to hear about some places both in the U.S. and around the world that we might not know a lot about, but which should be on the 2016 travel hotlist.
- Naming a not heavily visited European country, @MidlifeRoadTrip said Portugal is the one to watch.
- At least for Americans, Cuba is going to be a major hotspot according to cruise expert @mcnuttsc.
- Chatter @VeganFoodQuest shared another country that’s been getting a lot of travel praise lately—Myanmar.
- Other hot spots to watch out for in 2016 include: Greenland, Egypt, Montenegro, South America and Martinique.
Whether it’s the reason why you travel in the first place or not, food is important to every traveler. So, we asked the chatters to share their favorite destinations around the world just for the food.
- Thanks to its mix of traditional Chinese delicacies along with an intense diversity of international cuisine, Hong Kong ranks at no. 1 for @AntiTourist.
- Chat co-host @TravelBlggr said South Africa would be her pick thanks to the amazing wines and regional favorites like bunnychow and biltong.
- Italy is a perennial favorite country for the cuisine according to Tweeters like @MattSoleyn.
- A few other delicious destinations include: New Orleans, Morocco, Spain, Portugal and Japan.
Paradise is Calling
Beach destinations are always popular when it’s cold outside, so we wanted to hear everyone’s favorite getaway in paradise.
- For @AB_Maybe paradise is found in the Maldives, one of the most popular beach destinations in the world.
- Chat co-host @Bloggeries lives in his version of paradise—Little Corn Island of Nicaragua.
- Another hotspot on the rise fairly close to home according to @englandandiowa is Belize.
- According to many Tweeters, including @theplanetd, the beaches and islands of Australia just can’t be beat.
While the destinations are important, what we do while we travel is key. So, we asked everyone to share their favorite experiences around the world that we should all add to our own travel bucket lists.
- One of the hottest travel trends out there, @DanaHFreeman said she wants to add a river cruise to her 2016 activity list.
- A fun way to experience a new city, @englandandiowa said Segway tours are a great travel activity.
- An adventurous traveler, @StephRosPhoto said that anything along the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland is a must-do, but especially seeing it from a sightseeing submarine!
Don’t forget to join us for the next #TripItChat on December 21st at 2:00 pm Pacific/5:00 pm Eastern when we will be talking about Healthy Travel.