Does your vow to eat healthier and to exercise more in 2013 seem like a distant memory? The strenuous demands of frequent travel make it easy for those goals and resolutions to fall by the wayside. But with summer vacations (beaches and golf and adventures, oh my!) just around the corner, now is the time to renew your commitment to healthy living and keep it going strong, even when you’re on the road.
According to a recent TripIt survey, frequent travelers said that concerns about eating healthy and exercising cause them the most stress while traveling – more than the scanners, lines and overall gauntlet of airport security!
When asked how stressful certain travel-related activities are, 67% of respondents said exercising was either somewhat or very stressful and 66% said eating healthy was stressful. So if you’ve ever fretted over missing a workout or packing on calories thanks to meals on the road, you’re certainly not alone.
To help you stay healthy and happy while on the road this spring and summer, here are a few of our top tips:
- Carry healthy, portable snacks, like whole almonds or a banana to curb cravings
- When ordering from a menu, substitute an appetizer or small plate for the entrée
- Opt to walk or take the stairs, instead of the people mover or escalator
- Aim to increase your steps with an activity tracker or app, and take the scenic route
- Ask the hotel concierge for a map of local running routes or trails
- Take advantage of hotels that loan guests workout gear, yoga mats or shoes
- Use the hotel room to do crunches, push-ups, and chair dips any hour of the day
How do you stay healthy on the road? Do you have any other tips to add to our list?